Official Rules and Regulations
- HOW TO ENTER/SUBMISSION OF PHOTOS: The Olympus BioScapes Digital Imaging Competition® (the "Competition") is a life science digital imaging competition. The Competition deadline is 11:59:59PM Eastern USA time on September 30, 2014. To enter the Competition, fully complete an entry form at the official Olympus BioScapes Website and upload up to five (5) photographs, photo series (such as a time-lapse sequence) or digital movies (collectively, "Images"). The website may be accessed directly (www.olympusbioscapes.com) or via a link from the Olympus America Inc. Website, the Olympus Microscopy Resource Center, or the Molecular Expressions Website. Each entry must include the entrant's name, email address, physical address, and telephone number, and a description of each image submitted, along with other requested information. The entry form and Images are collectively called an "Entry" or "Entries." All Images must depict subjects that are, or at one time were, living. A compound light microscope or stereomicroscope, as the terms are generally understood, must be used as part of the photographic process. Images may be captured using any brand of light microscope, camera and imaging software. Images captured using a camera with macro camera optics, or any images captured without the use of either a microscope or microscope optics, are not eligible for the competition. Pseudo-colored and other computer-enhanced images are acceptable, as long as image manipulation is done to bring out specific information in the image.
LIMIT: Each entrant may submit no more than five (5) images (including image series and/or digital movies). Image sequences that the entrant wants considered together should be consolidated into a single ZIP file for submission; each group of images consolidated into a sequence in a ZIP file will be considered as a single image in the entry, but must be clearly labeled as such for consideration by the judges. Only fully complete Entries are eligible. Entrants may not use different names or other means in order to enter more images than is allowed by the Competition. All Entries must be the fully original and sole creations of the entrants. By entering, all participants warrant and represent that 1) their respective Entries are their own fully original creations; 2) if any third party content was used to create the Image that they have full rights to use that content, and 3) their respective Entries (including but not limited to the Images) will not infringe or violate the rights of any third parties, including but not limited to copyrights, trademarks and rights of publicity/privacy. All entries must be received by 11:59:59 P.M. Eastern Time on September 30, 2014. Olympus America Inc. ("Sponsor") is not responsible for late, lost, incomplete, damaged or misdirected entries. Entries, which must be digital submissions only (including Images), will not be acknowledged or returned.
- ELIGIBILITY: The Competition is open to anyone who is at least 18 years of age as of the date of entry. Employees, officers and directors of Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion, fulfillment and marketing agencies, companies engaged in the manufacture, marketing or sale of equipment used in light microscopy or photomicrography, Competition judges, and each of their immediate families (defined as spouse, child, sibling, parent or grandparent) and those living in their same households are NOT eligible to participate in the Competition. Purchasing or using Olympus equipment does not improve your chances of winning.
Images that have earned any award, honorable mention, recognition or prize in any other commercially-sponsored competition are NOT eligible, but images that have earned academic recognition or been published in journals remain eligible for the BioScapes competition.
Entrants may not be named as First Prize winner in two consecutive years in this Competition, but may earn other prizes in the year immediately following their First Prize year.
- COMPETITION JUDGING: All eligible images will be judged by an independent panel of experts selected by Sponsor based on the following criteria:
- Science - Uniqueness of the specimen or processes shown, importance of work, new information revealed, "story" told.
- Aesthetics - Beauty or impact of the image, balance, composition.
- Technical merit - Challenge of specimen itself - difficulty of capturing structures or data shown, photographic excellence.
All judges' decisions are final and binding.
- NOTIFICATION AND ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNERS: Winners will be sent their prize-winning notification via electronic mail (email) to the addresses provided by the Entrants on their entry forms by October 31. Winners should not make public the fact that they have earned a prize until after Olympus makes the official BioScapes winners' announcement in November or December.
To claim his/her prize, each potential winner must complete, sign and return certain prize release forms, including, but not limited to, an affidavit of eligibility and release within ten (10) days of first notification, or an alternate winner may be selected. If a selected potential winner cannot be contacted for any reason, is ineligible or does not comply with these Official Rules, fails to claim a prize, fails to return the completed and executed prize release forms as required, or if the prize notification or prize is returned as undeliverable, the prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner may be selected. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
- PRIZES: The following Prizes will be awarded through this Competition:
- 1st Prize: One first prize winner will earn Winner's choice of Olympus products valued at $5,000 (US list at time of awards) and, potentially, at Olympus' sole option, an expense paid trip for two to an awards reception, including transportation, accommodations at a local hotel and admission to the awards celebration event. (1st Prize Trip must be taken on the date specified. An affidavit must be signed by the first prize winner and his/her travel companion, in order for the trip to take place; that affidavit includes miscellaneous other conditions for the trip. The 1st Prize trip will be provided in the event that Olympus decides to sponsor an awards reception; if no such event occurs, no trip will be provided as part of the 1st prize.)
- 2nd Prize: Winner's choice of Olympus products valued at $2,500 (US list at time of awards).
- 3rd Prize: Winner's choice of Olympus products valued at $1,500 (US list at time of awards).
- 4th to 10th Prizes: Fourth through Tenth prize (one winner each; 7 winners altogether) will each be awarded the Winner's choice of any one (1) of the following options:
- MISCELLANEOUS: In case of dispute as to identity of entrant, Entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Any other attempted form of entry is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, services, or providers, computer equipment, software, hardware, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, any combination thereof, or otherwise, including any injury or damage to entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Competition. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of this Competition or the Sponsor or Competition websites, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified and Sponsor reserves its right to seek damages from any persons to the fullest extent of the law. Olympus has the right to modify or cancel the Competition or these rules at any time at its sole discretion without limit or penalty. By entering the Competition or participating in any Competition or prize-related activity, participants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor, its respective parent organization(s), affiliates, subsidiaries, retailers, agencies, PR firms, representatives and their respective officers, directors, employees, retail dealers and agents, from any and all liability, for injury, claim, loss, cost, harm or damages of any kind including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in the Competition or out of the acceptance, use, misuse or possession of prizes or participation in any Competition-related activity and claims based on publicity rights, copyright/trademark infringement, intellectual property rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. Neither the Sponsor nor its respective parent organization(s), affiliates, subsidiaries, retailers, agencies, PR firms, representatives and/or their respective officers, directors, employees, retail dealers, agents or related companies are responsible for any damages, taxes, or expenses that winners might incur as a result of this Competition or receipt of prize. All taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners. By participating, you agree to these Official Rules and to the decisions of Sponsor and the judges, which are final and binding in all respects. Void where prohibited by law, rule or regulation. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Unless prohibited by law, each winner consents to the use by Sponsor, and anyone employed by or affiliated with Sponsor, of the winner's name, likeness, Images or any parts thereof, address (city and state), biographical information, or statements for advertising and publicity purposes, without additional compensation. All taxes, fees, surcharges, gratuities and unspecified expenses on prizes won are the sole responsibility of the winner. Prizes are not transferable and cannot be substituted or redeemed for cash. Honorees retain full copyright to their images but, as a condition for receiving any prize, winners will be required to execute an affidavit permitting Sponsor to use the awarding image(s) for purposes of announcing, promoting or publicizing the Olympus BioScapes Competition itself in any way the Sponsor deems appropriate. If any winner is a minor, then such prize will be awarded to winner's parent or legal guardian. This Competition is conducted in English (which will be given its everyday ordinary meaning) and any and all disputes will be resolved in the appropriate courts in the County of Lehigh, State of Pennsylvania in the United States, exclusively, and subject to the laws of the State of Pennsylvania. Should there be a conflict between the laws of the State of Pennsylvania and any other laws, the conflict will be resolved in favor of the laws of the State of Pennsylvania. Any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Competition, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by arbitration. Any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Competition, but in no event attorneys' fees.
- ADDITIONAL TERMS: Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend this Competition should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Competition. In such case, Sponsor, via its panel of judges, will select the winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with or not complying with the entry process and/or the operation of the Competition or website. CAUTION: Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the competition may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- WINNERS LIST: Winners are posted publicly online on the announcement date (usually in November or December) in the Press Center section of the Olympus BioScapes Website.
- SPONSOR: Olympus America Inc., 3500 Corporate Parkway, PO Box 610, Center Valley, Pennsylvania 18034-0610, USA.